Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Interpreting Your Prayer Language Brings Direction / Knowing God's Timing


I would like to give you an example from my life which I believe will help you. This is a case where the revelation that I received from the Lord came through a different manifestation of the Spirit, and one that many folks in the Church don’t walk in or even understand. One time recently when I recounted this story in a sermon as an illustration I had some folks looking at me like I had three heads or something because it was so far out of their understanding. Let us as we always do look at the Word of God to lay the foundation:

“Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.” 1 Corinthians 14: 13 & 14 NKJV (Emphasis Mine)

There are two applications that can be made from these two verses. They are similar but yet different. They both deal with Tongues, but one deals with the Public Gift of Tongues which must be interpreted to be in order Biblically, the other deals with your Prayer Language, which doesn’t need to be interpreted, but it is to your benefit if it is.

Let us consider the first one regarding the Public Gift of Tongues. Notice the Apostle Paul said if you speak in a Tongue, pray that you may interpret. That is because the Public Gift MUST ALWAYS be interpreted. We know this because later in this chapter Paul gives this direction:

“If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.” 1 Corinthians 14: 27 & 28 NKJV (Emphasis Mine)

There are many things I could bring out of this passage but we are not teaching on Tongues here, so I will limit my observations and explanations to the matter at hand. Paul is basically saying that if you speak in Tongues but there is no one to Interpret the Public Message, don’t speak out the Public Message. A MIKE RULE…not a Bible Rule is: “If you can’t give the interpretation, don’t give the message!”

Let us now go back to 1 Corinthians 14: 13 & 14 to make our application regarding your Prayer Language. Paul says that when you pray in Tongues, your spirit prays but your understanding or mind is unfruitful or does not understand. However, before he says that he says if you speak in a Tongue pray that you may Interpret. Why should your mind or understanding be unfruitful or not understand when you pray in Tongues? Ask God to give you the Interpretation of what you prayed in your Prayer Language (Tongues).

One time somebody asked Oral Roberts what the secret to his success in the ministry was. How many think Oral Roberts had some success in the ministry? Are you ready for his secret to success? He said: “I pray in other Tongues to God, then I ask Him for the Interpretation to what I prayed, then I pray out the Interpretation in English what I prayed in Tongues, then I go and do the Interpretation.”

So how does this relate to us? We can pray in our Prayer Language, which is always praying God’s will, then pray back the Interpretation of what we prayed in Tongues and we have just prayed back to ourselves the Will of God regarding our life or the situation we were paying in our Prayer Language over. We now have God’s direction.

Now to how this worked in my life and how I got direction and almost missed God by not understanding timing: Right after I graduated from Rhema in 1987, I locked myself in our spare bedroom of our two bedroom apartment in Tulsa, OK intent on getting alone with God and getting direction for my life now that I had graduated. I was prepared to be in there for days if need be. I told my wife to not come in and get me but to just leave me be.

I began to pray in my Prayer Language, which is how I do most of my private praying. After a while I hit a vein. I am not sure you know what I mean by hit a vein, but that is a place in the Spirit where all of a sudden it is like you have tapped into a stream or a river and just take off and go with it. As I hit this vein I just went with it and prayed in the Spirit for quite a while with great ease. After about an hour, I began to pray back in English what I had been praying in the Spirit.

There were two major themes to my prayer that afternoon. One is not relevant to this illustration, but was extremely important for what was transpiring in the Church in 1987. If you remember, 1987 was when we had the Jim Baker (PTL) and Jimmy Swaggart scandals, not our brightest hour. Part of the interpretation that I prayed out first that afternoon was for the restoration of both of those men of God; then came the interpretation that was for me second.

You see when I graduated I did not know what I was going to do or where I was going to go. I didn’t know what the will of God was for my life. Should I stay in OK? Should I move back to NJ? Did God want me to go somewhere else? All I knew was I had completed my last instruction which was to finish Rhema and graduate. Now what? So as I prayed out the second theme of that vein I hit in English I began to pray my future. I was praying about moving back to NJ from OK to work in the ministry with my parents.

Now I knew the plan of God for my life. What I didn’t know was the timing of God. This is where we can really get messed up. I tried two or three times to move back to NJ and make it happen in my own ability and in my own strength because I knew that God wanted me to come back to NJ and work with my parents. But I every time I tried it was like I hit a brick wall and nothing fell into place or came together at all.

It took five years for that direction that I received in prayer to become a reality. And when it was time to come back everything fell into place quite quickly and easily. Within a matter of a couple of months we were back in NJ. I look back in retrospect now and realize that there were things that I needed as part of my Ministry Training that I had not yet received. There were many things that I received from my Mom and Dad growing up. There was a tremendous impartation that was received at Rhema, even though I am only now realizing the impact of the Prophetic Mantle that was imparted through Dad Hagin, as I started as an Evangelist and did not really use it.

During the five years between graduating from Rhema and moving back to NJ I worked with Billy Joe Daugherty at Victory Christian Center. This is where the other impartations that I needed came from. I wore many hats and worked in many areas of the ministry including being one of the head ushers in the church which allowed me to work hand in hand with some of God’s Generals up close and personal. I also had tremendous impartations from Billy Joe who was without a doubt one of the meekest, gentlest men I have ever had the privilege to know. I needed an impartation of his spirit to soften my bull in a china shop ways.

So you see that day when I prayed and got the direction, the direction I received was correct, but my understanding of God’s timing wasn’t. I thought because I had graduated from Rhema my training was complete, but God knew otherwise! He knew where to send me to get what I needed to complete my training in OK before I could move back to NJ.



No comments:

Post a Comment